Registering for Language Center Courses
You may have to take a placement test before registering for a course. You should therefore find out more about the registration procedure here. Please also note the special deadlines for German as a foreign language courses.
1. When, where, and how do I register?
There are different registration procedures depending on the language, course level, and time when the course takes place (i.e., while classes are in session or during semester breaks). The documents below will tell you what procedure you should follow.
General information and helpful tips to get started:
What to do next:Registration for
Courses that will take place while classes are in session (all languages except German as a foreign language and Japanese) (PDF)
Courses that will take place during semester breaks (French, Italian, and Spanish) (PDF)
German as a foreign language courses (PDF)
Japanese courses (only for students enrolled in relevant degree programs) (PDF, German version only)
2. Before you register: Placement tests/Language tests
Have you checked the above charts to see what you need to do to register? Do you have to take a placement or language test? If so, you’ll need the following information to plan your next steps.
- General Professional Skills (ABV) placement tests: Students with existing knowledge of the relevant language and who are registering for General Professional Skills (ABV) modules must take a placement test 2–3 weeks before the period when classes are in session. For some languages, you may need to register in advance.
- Language and placement tests for prospective students: The tests for prospective students applying for bachelor’s degree programs with specific language requirements can take place as early as 2.5–3 months before the period when classes are in session. You must register for these tests in advance.
Registration dates and appointments for tests will be published here:
- Dates: General Professional Skills (ABV) placement tests
- Dates: Language and placement tests for prospective students
- Dates: onSET-Deutsch Placement Test
3. Online form for course registration
Registration for courses that will take place while classes are in session (winter semester 2021/22)
Registration opens: September 20, 2021
Deadline for registration: October 11, 2021, 12:00 noon (Please note: Other deadlines may apply for German as a foreign language courses.)
Registration for semester break courses (winter semester 2021/22: Feb.-April 2021/22)
Registration opens: a few months after the registration period for courses that take place when classes are in session
Deadline for registration: 10 days before the start date of the relevant course
4. Notice of successful registration
All languages except German as a foreign language:
You can find out whether you have a place in your selected course by checking online on the Friday before the course starts.
German as a foreign language:
For German as a foreign language, we will let you know by email whether you have been assigned a place.
5. Additional registration in Campus Management
If you are assigned a place, you should also register in Campus Management starting in the middle of the second week of classes. This registration must be for the specific course for which you have been assigned a place.