Springe direkt zu Inhalt

Exemption from the language test for the BA programmes English Philology and Primary Education Pedagogy with English as the Elective

You can be exempted from the test if you fulfil one of the following conditions:

Degree / Certificate Validity

Exemption procedure

(Please do not submit your certifcates with your admissions applications)

IELTS (Academic) overall result 6.0 or higher and at least 6.0 in writing max. 3 years       

email a scanned copy of your certificate(s) verifying any of the listed exemption criteria as an attachment, with your applicant account, your application number(s) and date of birth to: befreiungenglisch@sprachenzentrum.fu-berlin.de

Applicants for winter semester need to do this

  • between 03.07.2020 and 20.08.2020 (applicants for the first course semester)
  • between 01.09.2020 and 20.09.2020 (applicants for a higher course semester)
TOEFL Internet-based Test (iBT) or TOEFL iBT Special Home Edition: overall score 90 or higher and at least 20 in writing
Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English (CPE): grades A-C
Cambridge Certificate in Advanced English (CAE): grades A-C
Cambridge First Certificate of English (FCE): grades A-B
Cambridge English Scale CPE, CAE und FCE (from January 2015): overall score 173 or higher and at least 173 in writing
International Baccalaureate (IB) Standard or Higher Level (SL/HL): 4 in English
6 months at a university in an English-speaking country, including successful participation on several linguistically demanding courses
A minimum of 9 points (Leistungskurs/erhöhtes Anforderungsniveau) or 11 points (Grundkurs) in the written part of the Abitur exam for English.  unlimited For more information on this please see the information in German on exemption from the language test.

Please note that we can only exempt applicants on the grounds listed above.