Welcome to the German as a Foreign Language Department Website
The German as a Foreign Language Department:
- Supports international students at Freie Universität Berlin who wish to improve their German and are enrolled in:
- regular degree programs conducted in German
- mobility and exchange programs (Erasmus+ / Direct Exchange)
- bachelor’s and master’s degree programs conducted in English
- doctoral programs
Offers university-specific German courses during the semester as well as before the semester starts.
Provides a wide range of language courses for learners of German at A1, A2, B1, B2, and C1 level.
Evaluates the German language skills of students whose higher education entrance qualification (equivalent to the German Abitur) was not obtained at a German secondary school (Gymnasium).
Is responsible for organizing the Deutsche Sprachprüfung für den Hochschulzugang (German language examination for university entrance – DSH).
Supports students in all matters relating to acquiring language skills in a systematic and effective manner.
Course Program During the Semester
The free course program during the semester is geared toward
Students participating in mobility and exchange programs (Erasmus+, Direct Exchange)
> Course Offer
- Regular degree-seeking students in bachelor's or master's degree programs conducted in English
> Course Offer
Intensive Courses Before the Semester Begins
Intensive courses during the pre-semester period are geared toward
Students participating in mobility and exchange programs who would like to improve their German language skills in a preparatory German language program before the semester begins (subject to a fee).
Doctoral candidates, postdocs and academic staff members who do not speak German and would like to attend a beginner's course for doctoral candidates, postdocs and academic staff members (free of charge).