Semester Courses for International Students and Researchers
The German as a Foreign Language Department of the Freie Universität Berlin Language Center offers free German language courses for the following groups:
- Students on study programs (all students who are only studying at Freie Universität Berlin for individual semesters and are receiving a grant), for example:
- Exchange students on direct exchange programs
- Doctoral candidates
- Students in bachelor’s and master’s degree programs conducted in English
- Postdocs and research associates
- Degree-seeking students in degree programs conducted in German (If you are part of this group, please see Reguläre Studierende since courses on offer and the registration process differ from what is outlined below)
The courses on offer during the semester cover Levels A1 to C1 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR).
To take part in a language course, there are several conditions. You must be enrolled at Freie Universität Berlin. You must also take part in an onSET-Deutsch placement test. Following the test, you must then register for a course at the level you were assigned based on the placement test.
If you would like to attend an intensive language course before the beginning of the semester, please check out the information under Vorkurse (pre-semester German courses).
You can find information on Level A1 language courses before the beginning of the semester for doctoral students, postdocs, and research associates in English-speaking research contexts on our website under PhD courses.