Springe direkt zu Inhalt



Phase 2: Implementing
Image Credit: SLZ

When you implement your learning plan, use different methods, tasks and materials as much as possible. This will help you to retain the learning content.

Set yourself a precise, manageable goal and choose learning materials and tasks that correspond to the level of your language skills.

For example:



Learning objective




Understanding texts

Identifying key words and reproducing content



Understanding radio programmes

Listening to radio programmes as MP3 or podcast (not live!) several times and taking notes



Speaking freely in everyday situations (dialogue, monologue)

Watching a short film sequence several times (if necessary), switching off the sound, reproducing the sequence orally (e.g. as a monologue or taking on a role)


A wide variety of resources are available for training your listening skills: audio CDs of a textbook, films, online broadcasts, audio books, tandem work, etc. You can find earning tips in the following documents:


Take advantage of many opportunities to practice speaking. Don't be afraid of making mistakes or not having perfect pronunciation and remember: you learn to speak by speaking. Practise in small, time-limited work phases (for example practice 2-minute monologues). Always keep a practical situation and addressees in mind! You can find learning tips in the following documents:


When choosing your reading materials, make sure that the texts are not too difficult. You should be able to understand about 70% of the text effortlessly, then you will be better able to comprehend and retain the remaining 30%. You can find learning tips in the following documents:


When practising writing skills, set specific goals and write for a potential reader. Seek feedback from a competent native speaker or teacher if possible. For learning tips, see the following documents:

Working with materials and resources

Get first an overview of the materials available for your specific learning goal (for example browse our online catalogue, WEGA). Choose materials and tasks carefully. If necessary, ask our language learning advisors, your teachers or your peers for advice. You can find learning tips in the following documents:

Learning grammar and vocabulary

Grammar and vocabulary are also an essential part of learning a foreign language. Here are some tips:

Intercultural communication

Reflect on whether the methods, tasks and materials you used were appropriate to achieve your learning goals(s) (see monitoring).